I know I know. Not enough hours in the day. I live within the same 24-hour restriction you do; it’s a real challenge. However, even the most successful attorneys only have 24 hours per day.
So, how do some attorneys get more done?
Here’s how: Successful attorneys leverage their time with delegation, simple timesavers, and systems. They invest in themselves and their businesses.
Here are 10 ways to exponentially expand the time you have available to build your business. I bet you can find 20 hours within this list:
- Use Amazon Subscribe and Save to have all household essentials delivered to your home and office on a regular basis. No more Walmart runs for cleaning products, snacks, coffee, toiletries, or birdseed. (Delivery is no charge with Prime.) This will give you 1 to 2 hours per week to invest in legal marketing.
- Check in with locally owned restaurants. I have home made soup delivered around 6am every Monday morning. Such a service can add 2 hours per week (and helps you feel healthy).
- Use local grocery store delivery or curbside express (for as low as $5) drug stores delivery (often free). Using these services can add 2 hours to your marketing time each week.
- Hire a college student for $10 an hour to run errands (library, grocery, dry cleaner, pick up kids, make store returns, post office, banking, mow lawn, wrap presents, plan meals, cook, etc.). This yields several hours a week.
- Set up automatic payments and bank online. Even deposits can be made online with a click of your phone. (Here’s one extra hour a week in your pocket.)
- Avoid watching, listening to, or reading the news. You’ll be happier, less stressed, and nicer – and have 5 to 10 more hours a week to build referral relationships.
- Use commute time and other travel time to learn. I listen to Success Magazine CDs and arrive at my destination inspired, excited, and with a new frame of mind. This habit will provide 5 to 10 hours per week.
- Turn all tasks into a checklist system so you don’t have to correct team mistakes and answer the same questions over and over again. In some law businesses, this frees up 15+ hours a week – and it will save you and your business if a team member resigns.
- Use a ghost writer or team member to create presentations, blogs, newsletters, handouts, brochures, and letters, freeing up 10 hours a week.
- Delegate everything that isn’t actually practicing law (i.e. counseling or reviewing final documents), building relationships (i.e. marketing), and working on the business (e.g. working with your business strategy coach). For many attorneys, this frees up 20+ hours a week.
There you go! Now you have enough time to for marketing – AND for taking a nap.
Do you think you (and your law firm) would benefit from private mentoring with a law business strategist? If so, the Private Platinum Program may be a good fit for you. Check it out here right now: Private Platinum Program