Yes, we’re talking delegation again; please bear with me. If you refuse to delegate, you’re acting from fear and suffocating your firm/your future. At the very same time you’re making yourself miserable – unnecessarily miserable. This is entirely on you. And, that’s a good thing because full ownership means you have the power to change it.
Here’s my recent advice to an attorney who is overwhelmed. This guidance is part of an ongoing discussion and here’s how I bottom-lined it. Please know this advice is tailored to this particular attorney’s goals, but I’m sure there’s something in here that will help you as well because the goals and challenges are common.
Saving Your Sanity and Your Firm
1. Delegate everything including client meetings to the lowest paid competent person. You must allow yourself to be replaced.
2. Prioritize the tasks that only you can do. Do the top 3 tasks each day first thing in the morning. If you do just those three things, it’s a successful day.
3. Look for tasks that can be eliminated because they really don’t have to be done at all.
4. Know that every time you do a task someone else can do or that doesn’t need to be done at all, you’re moving further and further away from your goal. In fact, you may never reach your goal.
5. With every decision, ask yourself which action will move you closer to your goal and which action will move you further away from your goals.
You’re Losing $218,400 per Year with One Common Mistake
Remember the cost of an attorney doing admin work? It’s $218,400 per year. Add a zero for 10 years of doing work you shouldn’t be doing. That’s how much you’re losing.
The Million Dollar Challenge
Make it a game and see how many tasks you can push down to the lowest paid competent person. Are you researching software, dealing with vendors, answering the phone, compiling documents, drafting routine letters, drafting documents, billing, or responding to routine emails? Are you doing anything, including meeting with clients and legal work, that someone else can do? I know you are.
Think Like the Owner of a Million Dollar Law Firm
The more space you create to just be, think strategically and develop your business, the better. All owners of million dollar law firms take delegation and space to think and develop themselves seriously. Think like the owner of a million dollar law firm to become one. It all starts with delegation and a shift in mindset.
You got this!!
P.S. If you’re nodding yes, if you’re ready to go from pain to gain, if you have the vision of building a million-dollar+ law firm but don’t know how to get there, let’s chat about where you are and where you want to go. Set up your Breakthrough Strategy Session here.